Student Assessment and Multilingual Education: Designing Instruments, Gathering Data
As part of the Asia-Pacific Multilingual Education Working Group (MLE WG), the UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education (UNESCO Bangkok) is hosting the fourth session of its regional webinar series. This webinar will focus on designing instruments and gathering data for student assessment and multilingual education. Focusing on the initiative's impact on the education of ethnolinguistic minority children, panel speakers will discuss their various areas of expertise in designing and implementing language-inclusive assessment tools, and mother-tongue-based multilingual education (MTB MLE) assessments, as well as how to make the best use of assessment findings for MTB MLE advocacy.
- To raise awareness of how linguistic and cultural issues should be reflected in assessment frameworks;
- To highlight assessment tools and practices that may be helpful to MLE implementers and advocates; and
- To catalyse multilateral engagement, understanding and cooperation in approaching assessment issues in linguistically diverse settings.
The target audience for the webinar includes regional, national and international level education stakeholders (including both policymakers and implementers).
English will be the working language of the webinar.
Dates and Format
Date: Friday, 3 December 2021
Time: 8:30 – 10:00 a.m. (Bangkok time; GMT+7)
Format: Zoom Conferencing
Registration is free and required in advance. Once you register, a unique join URL will be sent to your email. Registration link: https://unesco-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_xwHKKS4GQ8mxLoOD-IPSVw
Friday 3 December 2021, 8:30-10:00 AM
- Ethel Agnes P Valenzuela, Director, Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO) Secretariat
- Erin Tanner, Education Specialist, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office (EAPRO)
8:30 – 8:38
Welcome and Introduction from the Asia-Pacific Multilingual Education Working Group
|8:38 – 9:38||
Panel Speakers (20 min each)
|9:38 – 9:58||
Q&A and Discussion
|9:58 – 10:00||
- "Assessing Learning Outcomes in MLE Projects"
- "Utilizing MICS Foundational Literacy Data"
- "A New Approach to Linguistic Minority Student Assessment in Cambodia"
- Discussant Reflections
Steve Walter and Mirinda Burarungrot's chapter on "Assessment of Multilingual Education Programs" - This is a pre-publication draft provided for input from MLE practitioners. The final version will be published in Multilingual Education in Asia-Pacific (David Hirsh and Suwilai Premsrirat, eds.).
See the Asia-Pacific Multilingual Education Working Group (MLE WG) webpage for more information on the MLE WG and the previous sessions of the regional webinar series.
For more Information
Asia Pacific Multilingual Education Working Group Secretariat