ICT in Education Policy Advice
With the overarching goal of supporting the achievement of SDG4, UNESCO Bangkok works in the below areas at the policy level to assist Member States in the development of relevant ICT in education policies and strategies.
ICT in Education Master Plan/Policy Development
UNESCO Bangkok provides technical support and capacity development workshops to assist Member States in developing national ICT in education master plan or policy, aiming to promote appropriate policy models and strategies for the integration of ICT into education. Our work emphasizes the development of holistic policies that align with education sector plan and digital government policies, close the digital divide and ensure inclusive and quality education.
Capacity development workshops can support Member States to
- Strengthen the capacity of policy decision makers to develop, implement and monitor effective ICT in education policies and plans;
- Raise awareness among policy decision makers of the benefits and risks of using ICT in education to facilitate the achievement of their education goals;
- Accurately conduct cost estimations and innovative financial planning for ICT in education projects;
- Initiate and sustain multi-stakeholder discussions on ICT in education policy.
ICT In Education Policy Review
For Member States who have already developed and implemented their ICT in education master plan or policy, we assist with a systematic review of the ICT in education policy documents and reports against the national educational goals. This review exercise, carried out by UNESCO and international experts, provides an opportunity for the concerned Member State to benchmark their master plan and policies with those of other countries in the similar contexts, broaden the perspectives to align with the national education sector plan, look closely into strengths and weakness, and revisit the implementation strategies.
ICT in Education Policy Fora
We also organize regional and sub-regional policy fora to share Member States’ knowledge, experiences and lessons learned in planning and implementing innovative initiatives in ICT in education across the region and beyond.
Learn more about our latest sub-regional platforms in the links below:
- Asia Pacific Ministerial Forum on ICT in Education (AMFIE) 2017
- Central Asia Symposium on ICT in Education (CASIE) (2018, 2020)
- South Asia Regional Symposium on ICT in Education (SARSIE) (2018, 2020)
- Pacific Islands Regional Conference on ICT in Education 2021
Tools for ICT in Education Policy Development
- ICT in Education Policy Planning Guide - provides tools and resources to assist MOE with the development of the ICT in Education Master Plan.
- Financial Planning Resource - provides a guide to costing ICT in Education programmes and projects, including a costing roadmap, costing considerations, and costing action planner.
- Online guideline for ICT Competency Standards Development - provides a step-by-step reference for developing and implementing national ICT competency standards for teacher development and training.
ICT in Education Policy Research
The 'Asia-Pacific Regional Strategy on Using ICT to Facilitate the Achievement of Education 2030' was adopted by Ministers of Education in the Asia Pacific on 11-12 May 2017 at AMFIE 2017. This is a landmark development that has guided the Asia-Pacific region's priorities from 2017-2022 on the use of ICT to achieve Sustainable Development Goal 4 on education, in alignment with the Education 2030 Agenda.
A research study titled "Positioning ICT in Education to Achieve the Education 2030 Agenda in Asia and the Pacific: Recommendations for a Regional Strategy" was published in February 2018 as a complementary document to the Regional Strategy. The study consolidates and highlights the data related to effective use of ICT in education. The findings in this study had informed the development to the Regional Strategy, and should be regarded as a complementary document, used together, to guide Members States in the implementation of concrete and feasible actions in leveraging ICT in education.
For more information on the specific ongoing projects that are supporting the development of ICT in education policies in the region, please click on the links below:
- ICT to Facilitate SDG 4 in South Asia (2018-2021)
- Enhancing National Capacity to Foster Digital Citizenship in Asia-Pacific (2017-2023)
- Innovative Financial Planning in Technology-Enabled Education to Achieve SDG4 in Asia-Pacific (2018-2021)