Asia-Pacific Early Childhood Care and Education: Teacher Training Handbook for Social and Emotional Learning (APETT-SEL)
UNESCO Bangkok with the financial support from the Government of Japan implemented the “Empowering ECCE Teachers with a Transformative Vision of Education” project, which aimed to support Member States in Asia and the Pacific to equip their early childhood care and education (ECCE) teachers with SEL knowledge and skills, increase their understanding and knowledge about SEL concepts and principles and able to integrate SEL concepts and principles into the curricula and teaching practices, as well as for Member states to support the integration of SEL into education systems in their respective countries and educational institutions.
As part of this project, and in partnership with the Asia-Pacific Regional Network for Early Child-hood (ARNEC), have developed the Asia-Pacific ECCE Teacher Training Handbook for Social and Emotional Learning (APETT-SEL) and ten corresponding modules, in response to the widespread recognition of social and emotional learning (SEL)’s importance and the lack of robust and more contextually relevant and culturally sensitive SEL programme for teachers to effectively deliver SEL in the Asia-Pacific region. The ten comprehensive training modules aim to build capacity of pre-primary and early primary teachers, both pre- and in-service, across four themes. The first theme focuses on teachers and their well-being; the second equips teachers in building pro-social and responsive classrooms; the third focuses on diversity, inclusion, cultural responsive-ness, and equity; and the fourth focuses on SEL measurement and assessment.
- Asia-Pacific early childhood care and education: teacher training handbook for social and emotional learning
- Module 1.1: Emotional awareness and regulation
- Module 1.2: Mindfulness and stress reduction
- Module 1.3: Caring, empathy and compassion
Theme 2: Building a pro-social and responsive classroom (Children’s Social and emotional learning)
- Module 2.1: Social and emotional learning science
- Module 2.2: Social and emotional learning pro-social environment
- Module 2.3: Social and emotional learning integration with routines and academic areas
- Module 2.4: Social and emotional learning competencies for young children
Theme 3: Celebrating similarities and differences (Diversity, inclusion, cultural responsiveness and equity)
Theme 4: Zones of knowing and doing (Measurement and assessment)
- Module 4.1: Social and emotional learning and programme quality monitoring, assessment and evaluation
- Module 4.2: Teacher and child Social and emotional learning assessments