UNESCO International Symposium and Policy Forum CRACKING THE CODE - GIRLS EDUCATION IN STEM
Girls and women face multiple challenges that compromise their education opportunities. One area of longstanding concern is the low rate of female participation in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education and consequently STEM careers. This is a major concern, as STEM careers are often called ‘jobs of the future,’ driving social and personal well-being, inclusive growth and sustainable development, through innovation and creativity.
Why does this gender gap exist and how can it be addressed? The UNESCO International Symposium and Policy Forum will be organized over three days, serving as a platform for debate and hands-on learning, seeking to:
- Present latest findings from research and practice
- Facilitate policy dialogue, experience sharing and networking
- Make the case for strengthening girls’ education in STEM subjects
The programme will be based on the overarching theme of girls’ education in STEM, with four sub-themes/tracks:
1. Building the foundations: Gender-responsive quality STEM education
2. Changing the equation: Addressing stereotypes and bias hindering girls’ participation
3. Gravitating into the field: Reaching out, engaging and empowering girls and women
4. Wiring the network: Partnerships, cross-sector learning and cooperation
This event will bring together over 200 delegates, including:Ministry of education and other officials; education practitioners and educators; researchers and experts; representatives of intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations; development partners; civil society representatives; private sector stakeholders and others.
Interested in joining?
Participation will be by invitation only. Interested participants can register, submit a proposal for a presentation or a workshop, or reserve an exhibition booth online before 19 June 2017. To ensure a balanced audience, all requests will be evaluated based on profile, gender and geographical representation.
- Expression of interest to participate here
- Submit a proposal to make a presentation
- Submit a proposal to run a workshop
- Submit a request to reserve an exhibition booth