Programme Assistant (2 positions)
Parent Sector: Field Office
Duty Station: Bangkok
Job Family: General Administrative Support
Type of contract: Non Staff
Level: SB-2 SC-4
Duration of contract: 1 year
Recruitment open to: External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Bangkok Time): 07-APR-2023
Only candidates who have the right to live and work in Thailand may apply for this position.
VACANCY NOTICE NUMBER: VN21-2023-SF18631-SC-PAS-G4
Overview of the functions of the post
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) was founded on 16 November 1945 as the United Nation’s specialized agency. It contributes to peace and security by promoting international cooperation in education, sciences, culture, communication and information. UNESCO promotes knowledge sharing and the free flow of ideas to accelerate mutual understanding and a more perfect knowledge of each other's lives. UNESCO Bangkok has a dual role as both the Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and as a Cluster Office in the Asia-Pacific region. As a cluster office, UNESCO Bangkok helps to implement all UNESCO programmes (education, sciences, culture and communication and information) in Thailand, Myanmar, Lao PDR, Singapore, and indirectly in Viet Nam and Cambodia, in cooperation with the country offices and the antenna office. UNESCO Bangkok also hosts the Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific of the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS), which serves to strengthen the capacities of Member States to produce high-quality data and statistics in the areas covered by the UNESCO mandate. It also hosts the UNESCO/IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) which is the regional body of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (UNESCO/IOC) for the Western Pacific and its adjacent areas.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall authority of the Director of the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Asia-Pacific Regional Bureau for Education and the direct supervision of the UNESCO Head of Unit, the incumbent shall, as a team member, provides support in the organization and delivery of programme activities/projects carrying out range of office support and administrative functions:
- Produce complete and in final form documents, publications and correspondence related to the work of the Section/ Unit from draft texts. Search, locate, compile, review and update information and data used in the development of documents, work plans and budgets; ensure accuracy and compliance with the approved amounts; enter data in, and run reports from automated systems in order to support preparation of regular and ad-hoc budgetary/ financial updates, reporting on programme/ project delivery, statistics and/ or projections for use and scrutiny by the supervisor(s) or responsible manager. Provide administrative support for fund raising initiatives.
- Prepare a variety of administrative documentation using examples or templates; initiate administrative procedures and ensure follow-up, including payment follow-up in collaboration with the AO/EO Office. Inform team members of specific administrative processes and related procedures to support work planning and timely and coordinated execution of work; follow-up and alert team members of outstanding payments, timeframes and bottlenecks. Perform general administrative tasks such as leave and attendance recording; maintain files (both paper and electronic) and databases for work unit and assist in providing software and office equipment support.
- Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support. Organize official travel in conjunction with meetings, events and workshops; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/ clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation such as visa applications. Provide administrative support for the events; collate/ format information and data for presentation in final form; inform participants; organize the distribution of documentation; collect minutes/ information/ documentation and prepare associated documentation.
- Receive, analyze, sort, register and distribute correspondence and documents; update and maintain large distribution lists and process requests for data and reports; determine the importance and priority of documents received and follow-up, draft correspondence and emails; review, proofread and edit outgoing correspondence according to standard practices and protocol ensuring proper grammar, spelling and punctuation; recommend changes/ corrections; and handle arrangement for translations of documents. Maintain information systems and databases in both physical and electronic media by recording, updating and retrieving information, documentation and data. Assist in the preparation of presentation materials using appropriate technology/software.
- Respond to enquiries and follow up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor(s) and colleagues; make appointments, receive visitors and take telephone calls, answering enquiries and/or referring them to the specialist/ service concerned. Liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information/ clarifications. Provide guidance to short-term/ temporary staff on general office processes and procedures, automated systems, computer applications, etc.
- Perform additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
For details and how to apply, please visit this link.