Asia-Pacific Education Research Institutes Networks (ERI-Net)
Education Research Institutes Networks in the Asia-Pacific (ERI-Net) was established in 2009 by UNESCO’s Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education to facilitate regional collaboration among education research institutions (including universities and think-tanks) in education policy issues relevant to the region. ERI-Net takes a sector-wide perspective across all education sectors: from primary education to higher education and TVET.
Since 2009, the ERI-Net Secretariat, housed at UNESCO Bangkok, has coordinated with ERI-Net members and organized thematic seminars. There was a significant expansion of membership from 2009 (31 members from 12 countries) to 2015 (184 members from 19 countries).
ERI-Net members have explored a number of issues of relevance to the Asia-Pacific region, such as: the impacts of the global financial crisis on higher education (2010); international student mobility in the region (2011); the transition from secondary education to higher education, and the integration of transversal competencies (or 21st century skills) in education policy and practice (2013, 2014 & 2015).
ERI-Net aims to
- Generate new knowledge to support innovative and evidence-based policy making in education
- Provide a platform for international cooperation and the exchange of experiences and best practices
- Document and consolidate research finding on important developments in education
- Promote an intra-regional and holistic perspective on education policy
Recent ERI-Net Activities
- Regional Expert Meeting on Harnessing the Power of Research to Achieve SDG4-Education 2030, 22~24 November 2016, Bangkok, Thailand (Concept note, Agenda)
- Annual Meeting, 22~24 February 2016, Tokyo, Japan (Concept note, Agenda)
- Expert Meeting for School Education Group, 20~21 April 2015, Bangkok, Thailand (Concept note, Agenda)
- Annual Meeting, 26-28 November 2014, Hangzhou, China (Concept note, Agenda)
- Expert Meeting on Academic Promotion of Higher Education Teaching Personnel, 20~21 May 2014, Penang, Malaysia (Concept note, Agenda, Research Framework)
Latest ERI-Net Publications
- Regional Study on Transversal Competencies in Education Policy and Practice (Preparing and Supporting Teachers in the Asia-Pacific to Meet the Challenges of 21st Century Learning: Regional Synthesis Report) (2015, PDF)
- The Transition from Secondary Education to Higher Education: Case Studies from Asia and the Pacific (2015, PDF)
- Regional Study on Transversal Competencies in Education Policy and Practice (School and Teaching Practices for Twenty First Century Challenges: Lessons from the Asia-Pacific Region)(2014, PDF)
- Transversal Competencies in Education Policy and Practice(2013, PDF)
Secretariat Email: email@example.com
Jihye Hwang [firstname.lastname@example.org] and Amalia Serrano [email@example.com]