Announcement of technical workshop: Mainstreaming and investing in disability-inclusive data for Inclusive Education (IE)
In response to an urgent need for countries in Asia-Pacific to strengthen their capacity to collect, analyze, understand, effectively utilize, and disseminate data, the UNESCO Multisectoral Regional Office in Bangkok (UNESCO Bangkok), with UNICEF EAPRO and the Disability-Inclusive Education in Asia-Pacific Working Group are organizing a Disability-Inclusive Data Technical Workshop in mid June 2023. Over the course of three days – 14, 22, 29 June – the workshop will build national capacities for utilizing disability-inclusive data towards achieving inclusive-education throughout the region.
The technical workshop will demonstrate how regional countries can build their capacity on data at different levels to realize the full ambition of the 2030 Education Agenda. It will share best practices among different data collection and disaggregation approaches using the Education Management Information System (EMIS), as well as census and household surveys, to enable better reporting against global and regional education indicators and the building of a strong evidence base for disability-inclusive education planning.
By generating and leveraging inclusive, quality, timely, relevant, open, and disaggregated data and statistics, governments can ensure visibility and a voice for everyone. To that end, the technical workshop will feature practical assignments where participants will work in groups – based on the participating countries – to reflect on each country’s own EMIS and/or other data sources, and how to make them disability-inclusive.
- To strengthen national capacity on disability-inclusive data and statistical systems
- To share best practice on disability-inclusive data and data collection and disaggregation in inclusive education
- To strengthen inclusive education policies through quality and disability-inclusive data that support decision-making
- To strengthen the disability-inclusive data communities in Asia and the Pacific
- By invitation only, the workshop will host representatives from government agencies working on SDG 4 data, such as such as those with national bureaux of statistics; national statistics offices; relevant MOE staff working on planning; and representatives from IE disability units.
English; live captioning and sign language available.
Dates: The workshop will be organized over three days, in half-day sessions, on 14, 22 and 29 June 2023
Time: 09:00–12:00 Bangkok time (GMT+7)
Format: Zoom Conferencing (link will be sent upon registration)
Advance registration is required for invited participants.
Day 1: 14 June
- Introduction to disability inclusion
- Education sector analysis – a policy perspective
- Moderated discussion
- Overview and introduction of practical group work
Day 2: 22 June
- Day 1 recap
- Different data sources and what they can tell us about education for learners with disabilities
- Best practice examples from the region
- Updates from countries on practical group work
Day 3: 29 June
- Day 2 recap
- Group presentations on disability-inclusive data sources (based on country teams)
For more Information
Contact the Disability-Inclusive Education in Asia-Pacific Working Group Secretariat: ap.di-ed(at)unesco.org
#ChildrenWithDisabilities #InclusiveEducation #EveryoneIncluded #InclusionAndGenderEqualityInEducation