Open Call: Internet Freedom Beyond Words - Design Workshop on Internet Universality and Freedom of Expression
3-5 May 2018
Organized by the UNESCO Office in Bangkok
The UNESCO Office in Bangkok invites graphic designers, illustrators, photographers, sound artists, visual/media artists and communication professionals to take part in a training workshop starting on World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) under the theme ‘Keeping Power in Check: Media, Justice and the Rule of Law’.
The 3-day creative training course will include lectures, discussions, and experimental studio sessions, and lead to an original exhibition concept to showcase the collaborative works. The public event will be launched on 28 September 2018, on the International Day for Universal Access to Information.
The sessions will cover:
- A panel discussion at the WFPD 2018 in Bangkok highlighting the contemporary challenges of freedom of expression online in the Mekong region (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore)
- An introduction, discussion and debate about the local and global issues related to press freedom, freedom of expression, the UNESCO’s Internet Universality concept and its associated ROAM principles (human rights, openness, accessibility, and multi-stakeholder participation).
- The role of creative professionals in society: the links between art, design and society.
- How to do a local context analysis: design thinking methodologies to explore, analyze and visualize local contexts, including the social and cultural dimensions related to the workshop theme.
- Exhibition design: from conceptualization to installation and the role of exhibitions in awareness-raising.
This workshop will focus on group works and collaborative activities between all participants. Selected participants are expected to support the exhibition installation and opening at the International Day for Universal Access to Information on 28 September 2018.
UNESCO will provide the catering services (lunch and coffee breaks) for the participants of the training during the 3 days. The venues for the training are expected to be:
- Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand in the morning of 3 May
- UNESCO Bangkok Regional Office in the afternoon of 3 May
- At UNESCO’s partner university on 4 and 5 May
Participants need to fully engage and commit to attend the 3 day-training.
Key learning topics
- UNESCO’s Internet Universality concept and ROAM principles
- The links between art, design and society
- Creative methodologies for advocacy and public awareness-raising
- Local context analysis through design and creative thinking
- Group works and creative collaboration
- Exhibition design, from concept to production and installation
- Complete the application form in English
- Submit a CV (PDF or Word document) and at least 5 pieces of recent works (JPG files or links). They may include image files (e.g. graphic design, painting, drawing, digital art, mixed media), sound, and video (submit links for video and sound works)
Deadline: 22 April 2018
Submit your application by e-mail to: Ms. Rose Poreaux, email@example.com
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.